Although I wrote (and still do) in English, my writings, looking back now, are still in Yoruba, my mother tongue ... The medium in which my ideas are expressed is English, but when I write, the ideas I express, the atmosphere I create, and as reviewers of my works (perhaps rightly) maintain, the gestures readers encounter on the pages of the books I write are Yorubaish. Thus I think it can be said that beyond being a Yoruba writing in English, my works are African in conception.
The full essay has since been published in the journal Transition. I think that Mr. Tutuola's comments here give us a remarkable account of the unexpected combinations, conflicts, and sometimes fortuitous collisions of language and consciousness that are a powerful feature of postcolonial writings. Should a writer seeking to resist colonization be obliged to write in the colonizer's tongue? And if she or he chooses it despite its histories, can it be shaped, as Tutuola suggests, back into a "native" language?
Two years after The Palm-Wine Drinkard, he published My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, which was later the inspiration for a groundbreaking electronic album by Robert Fripp and Brian Eno, which is widely regarded as one of the most powerful, pioneering recordings of its kind. I urge everyone to read -- and listen to -- all of these remarkable works.
So exciting that Amos Tutuola responded to you. I feel that a writer seeking to resist colonization should not be obligated to write in the colonizer's tongue, even if the world of writer's has become more modern, Tutuola and any writer should be able to express there stories in the most personal and confident way they wish to write. Although they can write their story in the language desire, if writing a story that it is not there own it should not be shaped back into a native language for respect to the story or culture it represents. It can be possible if a writer chooses to shaped back into a native language but maintaining the essence and respect to that culture and language.
ReplyDeleteFrancini Perez Brito
After reading through the first half of the story, I can agree with the description of the story being "strange, eerie, and poetic". From avoiding death by a man named Death to saving a girl from a handsome skull to carrying a half-bodied baby, the main character is truly on a mission to find the only man who could feed into his alcoholism. Although the journey that we're reading about has some wild turns, I am fully invested in it and hope he can find the man and we can have the reunion that we're hoping for.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the story being “strange, eerie, and poetic”. The main character definitely goes through a lot of crazy quests trying to find his dead Tapster. The “crazy” part is what makes this story full of excitement and imagination. The character goes through a series of unorthodox situations which are attention grabbers, making it a story full of life and adventures.
Delete-Victor H Valenzuela
Wow, what a man is willing to go through just to get palm-wine! This was a fun story to read. When I started reading the story, I didn’t think it was going to have a creepy tone to it. As soon as the man went to see “Death” and it went on to explain how Death used the bones of people he killed as plates, I knew the story was going to have a lot of dark twists and turns. It took a strange turn when he went to find the head of the town's daughter. The “curious creature” went from being a complete gentleman to only a skull, which is very odd. I enjoyed the ending. We got to see his whole journey and how he matured throughout the process. - Megan Matheu
ReplyDeleteThis man is willing to go through anything just to get his hands on some palm-wine. The first have of the story is very interesting. The man is going through very weird tasks such as following a skull, turning a girl into a kitten, turning himself into a bird. I wonder if the man is actually going through alcohol withdrawal and maybe imagining all of this happening as he's with drawing. The author definitely has an imagination for a story, but going through alcohol withdrawals seems like the only explanation for these very strange tasks.
ReplyDeleteAlexis Manning.
When seeing the name of this book I was not expecting a creepy or eerie turnout. I am not to sure what I thought, maybe how palm-wine became or what it was. Some parts like meeting "death and the creepy tasks he was going through were very interesting, attention grabbing yet very odd. I did enjoy reading this though it made the story intriguing and making you want to know more. Different but cool.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading the first half of this story I definitely can see where people would say it could be weird and eerie. The man had gone through a lot just to get palm - wine. He had many weird encounters and there were a lot of things that were strange to read about. This story correlates with addiction. People who have withdrawals will do whatever it takes to get what they need and the man in the story did exactly that.
ReplyDeleteI really liked the first part of this book. It was a genre that I have never even thought about reading before and it really opened my eyes. I enjoy this genre in movies, but I never thought of reading in this type of genre. I think it was really cool for Tutuola to actually respond to your questions to help make a better insight. I look forward to reading the rest of this.
ReplyDeleteThis man will do anything for wine!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting quest this man goes on...
A first glance at this book I had no expectations going in but boy was I surprised! This book was very enjoyable! I really liked the eerie vibe that came with it, its not something to be expected but I think that was the authors intention. Speaking of Author that's so amazing that he responded to you! sometimes it really is interesting to get the view of the creator, to see the book as they made it. You can always theorize about meanings, themes, and endings( which is what makes it fun) with stories but the only "true" meaning or ending can come from the creator themselves.
Tiffany Bouley
ReplyDeleteI like this book so far as I have never read a story like it. It gives a different perspective to different kinds of writing genres and writing styles. I was quite surprised to find out what this book was about because looking at the title and cover I had no idea what it was going to be about, other than palm-wine. It’s definitely creepy, like when he talked to the dead and held the body of half of a baby, but I found it interesting. We go along on his journey as the narrator is willing to go through just about anything to find the dead tapster and bring him back so he can have more of the palm-wine he wants so bad. Tutuola is very creative to think of a story such as this. I also think it is very cool how he responded to your letter to him and contributed to your project!
When reading the first half of this book and when we were assigned to read this book the name was a bit different and I was definitely apprehensive in reading it, I can see how people may think this book is eerie and maybe even a bit weird. But now reading the book it is definitely interesting to see what journey he went on throughout. And I also think that it is cool that you were able to connect and even have a brief correspondence with Mr. Tutuola, and now showing us his books and talking about his history so that we can learn more about his writing.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness what a beginning to a story! Im exciting to finish the second half. But I can say one thing for sure this man is dedicated to that wine. I think after the first encounter I would have given up! But he persisted, this story is something else. All the creepy details and stories were interesting.
ReplyDeleteIn general, I am a fan of this type of story. I grew up reading and watching creepy books, movies and games. I always find it interesting as to how different people approach the same genres and themes. The title is misleading to say the least, but I think that also lends to some of the surprise and intrigue when you actually begin to read the story. I always enjoy comparing books to movies (although I do not think this book has a movie. it would be interesting to see how it would transform if it did however) because things like cradling the baby that was severed in half can have two very different effects. On screens it can be disturbing but the mind can conjure things that can be far more intense. You also have to wonder about the thoughts of the character as they go on this absurdly outrageous quest.... for wine...a dead man...a dead man's wine? I haven't quite reached the end yet, but I imagine if he does find something it will not go well.
ReplyDeleteThe story really surprised me need less to say surprised me a little bit, alcoholism really has a grip over the character and brings him into weird situations. The detail and description of this story really made it in my opinion. the story shows the true side of addiction and withdraw from alcohol.
ReplyDeleteI thought that this was a good story, and the fantastical aspects of the story were very interesting.
ReplyDelete-Ethan Opoku
I really enjoyed reading this book. As it says in the beginning of the book, this book stretches our imagination in directions one never expects. I love how there are many different creepy full of imagination and magic obstacles that the palm-wine drinkard comes across trying to find his dead palm-wine tapster. One of the parts I remember very vividly and was very unorthodox was when the drinkard’s wife gave birth but in an unusual way. She gave birth through her swollen thumb. This right here is an incredible and funny imagination. It gave details as when it popped, it burst out and somehow the baby came out from her thumb and he became a grown baby that could talk and walk right after birth. This is a perfect example of how the story kind if expanded after each scenario.
ReplyDeleteThe name of the book at first sight definitely threw me off, but after reading this novel, it gave me like weird, but very interesting vibes about the man himself. I found that the love he has for wine is astonishing. At the end of the day, it makes him who he truly is and do what he wants to do. It is very shocking that he had responded to you and seems very exciting coming from someone who is a good writer and an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteThis book was really heavy on imagery that bordered on the dark and supernatural. The incredible need to drink alcohol drove this young man into a journey looking to find his old tapster to be able to drink again. He's had so much wine in his life that he didn't even know what the taste of water was anymore. His obsession to find his old deceased tapster to bring him back to life just to drink more wine had him going into an adventure that sounded like a drunken adventure. This book has been translated many times over and I wonder if some of the creepiness or style of this story is related to misinterpretation or freedom of translation.
ReplyDeleteThis book was a bit dark for me to read and process. I'm well aware of the fact that this is fictional, but just the thought of someone being so desperate for alcohol that they go through all these risks just to bring their tapster back to life is...wild, to say the least.
ReplyDeleteI also think it definitely shows quite a clear side of addiction and withdrawal, especially with the prospect of going so far as to bringing back a deceased tapster just so he can have a never-ending supply of palm wine.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Aldana
ReplyDeleteI liked the story but i cant help but feel bad for the man since i interpreted his love for wine for alcoholism, i know there are enthusiasts but this seemed more than just meere enjoyment of wine. I do like the beginning of the story that is what made me start thinking differently. I do like the how the book did have a dark feeling to it, just like the other things we have read. The dark feeling made it feel as if anything could happen which i really liked.