We've probably all experienced the sensation: somewhere, somehow, we saw a new possibility open up before us, or felt a strange impulse to follow a desire that we could hardly name. We were wise, or so we thought, to resist the temptation, to stay on the path of our sober-minded, plan-in-advance selves. And then, perhaps years later, we wondered why, and what things might have been like if we hadn't.Hans Christian Andersen's "The Shadow" takes up this question -- decidedly one that haunts adults rather than children -- in a strange allegory that reads like a fairy tale but burns at the soul like some mad tale of Poe. And like Poe (and Shelley, Gogol, Dostoyevsky, and many others), Andersen hit upon the folk legend of a double, or doppelgänger, as a metaphor for this desire deferred. With roots deep in popular folklore, these tales of someone with an uncanny resemblance to one's self are chilling enough as far as they go -- for it seems that there's only room in the universe for one of them: either the double or the self must die.
In Andersen's tale, the "learned man" (perhaps "scholar" would be a more apt English translation) permits his shadow to do pursue a course of action he himself was too timid to attempt, and initially counts himself fortunate. The lack of a shadow, after all, was but a minor inconvenience -- what of it? The twist here is that this decision precipitates the birth of a separate entity, one that eventually comes to possess all of the boldness and sense of purpose that the student lacked. The student, gradually and inexorably, is fated to become the shadow's shadow, and eventually even less than that.
Many people assume that fairy tales ought to teach some moral lesson. They forget that, in their original forms, most folktales had no such lesson; it was moralizers such as Perrault (who published the most popular versions of "Cinderella" and "Little Red Riding Hood") who attached morals to them, in part to make them safe for family reading, to harness their wild imaginings in the name of civilizing influence.
But although "The Shadow," like many of Andersen's tales, has a sort of moral in it, there's also a strong contravening force: if we are to avoid the fate of the unfortunate scholar, we must in fact act on our desires, must sometimes step outside the moral and personal codes that bind us. And indeed, anyone who creates -- whether a writer of fictions, a visual artist, or a filmmaker -- is already engaged in the shadow business.
The poet William Blake, in his diabolical Proverbs of Hell, perhaps put it most bluntly: "Better murder an infant in its cradle than nurse an unacted desire."

Of the Andersen stories that we have read so far, this one was probably the most difficult for me to follow. While I understand the description posted on the blog, I had a hard time following the theme throughout the story. I like the backstory to it but just found myself getting lost as the story progressed. I'm not sure if anybody else feels the same.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, it was pretty confusing to follow, and I also found myself getting lost especially when they were both referred to as a shadow at one point.
DeleteEven though Andersons fairy tales have more of a dark twist to them I do find them intriguing to read. It always pulls me in and makes me wonder what is going to happen next. I do not think “The Shadow” is meant for children, I wonder if Anderson had kids in mind when drafting these stories. What I seem to grasp from the story is how one decision can have a drastic impact on your life. Of course, Anderson ended the tale with the “learned man” being executed. - Megan Matheu
ReplyDeleteThe shadow was pretty interesting for me. For me the shadow could be a manifestation of the soul, ghost or spirit etc. or an uncanny double that detaches itself from the body. Doing things that one wish could do but does not have the boldness or sense of purpose. This story makes me reflect and think that sometimes we must step outside the moral and personal codes that bind us in order to do what we wish to do and open new opportunities. The part of the story which interested me the most was when the shadow had a discussion with the learned man and the shadow ended up throwing the learned man in jail and he dies in there. The shadow did not want to give up everything it had accomplished without the learned man. So it betrayed him. This was very sad because it was not the learned man’s fault. He only wanted to do things that he did not have the will to do but the shadow did.
ReplyDeleteI was very interested by your idea of manifestation. One of the most interesting I also agree was the conversation between the 2 and next thing the learned man was in jail, the only issue I had was that I don't believe he really work for his princess, I think he used his success to make her think he was someone he wasn't but that point I can't put together why. I liked this response!
DeleteI feel this story switched up very fast. In the beginning I thought it would be just that the shadow became a man and something good came out of it, but by the end the shadow was taking a life the learned man wanted and did it sneakily. I am still a little bit confused as to how he became a man. From my point of view I feel like when the learned man asked what happened when the shadow was in the woman's house, he had fallen for her and when he became human the relationship between them started. I was also taken by the very end when the learned man was executed I think that was very unnecessary but him being alive and feeling what he was feeling, could have been bad for the shadow so not totally crazy.
ReplyDeleteAlexis Manning
ReplyDelete“The Shadow” was probably the most challenging story we’ve had to read so far. It is somewhat creepy to think that a man just casted off his shadow and he just vanished, and then returned as a man. I couldn’t tell by the audio book if he actually turned into a man or if he was disguised as one, I believe that he was disguised because the man was willing to give him up when he found out about him marrying the princess. My biggest question, or thought is how does one just go without a shadow? This story really leaves you thinking and trying to interpret what Andersen really means by this story.
You can tell that Anderson has a different way of writing. Towards the middle of the reading, the shadow of the learned man was introduced, obviously, this is not something that could happen in real life but in writing, anything is possible. The shadow talks about all the bad he saw and how he made people fear him because of it. It all turns when the learned man becomes the shadow and the shadow becomes the master. Towards the end of the reading, I have come to the conclusion that the shadow who was now a man became greedy for he had lived his whole life following the feared man and now he wants a life of his own. This story was really interesting to read and it shows what greed can do to a man. He is living a lie he can never reveal. Anderson's writing is different from what I have ever read before but it is very interesting.
ReplyDeleteWow. This is probably one of the darkest tales that I have ever read. Anderson really goes dark with this story. Taking something as simple and real as a shadow and turning into an actual fear, a nightmare really sends a shiver down you're spin...The only other time that I have seen a living shadow would be in a children's movie like peter pan.
ReplyDeleteI love the fact that Anderson used a shadow to show us the “what if’s” of life. The shadow kind of represents another version of the character. A version that is willing to take risks with no fear. It does send a shiver down my spine but it kind of tells us to get out of our comfort zone and try new things.
Delete-Victor H Valenzuela
Hans Christian Andersen's "The Shadow" was an interesting story, a man's shadow gains a mind of it's own and becomes more successful than the man, although I did not like the ending, I thought the concept was unique.
ReplyDelete-Ethan Opoku
I have never heard of this story before reading it, so it was quite interesting to read. You can really establish a pattern between Anderson's writings. They all seem to be set in a 'Magical' period where things are human, but have fantasy like components. Ex like the Shadow Man gaining a conscious thought and being alive. From the Shadow Man's perspective, I think that he only wanted to live free because he had been a shadow for the man for his entire life. So, he only felt it is right for them to switch roles. I don't think ending was very necessary for the man, but to each their own. I really enjoyed this story due to the amount of thought that went into it and the different interpretations that can come of it.
ReplyDelete^^^ Jacob Chace
DeleteI have not heard of this story until reading it this week and I enjoyed it because it had me thinking a few different ways about the underlying meaning of the story. Is this a story of creating a version of yourself that you show outwardly to the world that becomes your true self's worst enemy? A story of missing out on what could have been because you didn't take the leap of faith? I like a story that gives me more questions than answers and I enjoy looking at things from different perspectives.
ReplyDelete- I didnt really like this story as much as I liked the other ones, i am not sure why. It could be the complexity of it or how odd it was. While reading this story I got to thinking how would Disney put its family friendly twist on it. How could Disney turn this story and add morals to it, as mentioned above. But reading my peers comments I can see how some enjoyed it, and the layers this story has.
ReplyDeleteTiffany Bouley
ReplyDeleteWhen I was reading this tale from Anderson I got confused at some points as I found it somewhat hard to follow along with but I got the main story line. I thought it was a weird story because in the beginning we are introduced to a character and his shadow and then all of a sudden it leaves, has its own body, and comes back to visit following with events leading to the scholar’s death, which I didn’t see coming. I found it interesting how the reason why the shadow even exists is because of the scholar yet him and the princess end up taking his life both while he’s living saying the scholar wasn’t a man but only a shadow and the fact they actually killed him. It is awful the scholar was just living his life when the shadow comes back just to end up eventually killing him so people wouldn’t find out the truth. It was all around just different and weird as I have never read a story about a shadow becoming its own and living its own life.
I enjoy reading Andersen's stories because you can tell that his way of writing is unique and different than a lot of other story tellings. I like that in this specific story “The Shadow” the ending is kind of unexpected and the concepts are always a lot deeper and have more meaning to them throughout the story. I definitely don't think this is a great story for children because the concepts can be a little confusing to understand and I think it's definitely geared more towards an adult audience. But overall this story is very interesting and I didn't expect the ending but like in other stories Andersen has written, they usually don't involve a happy endings like most children stories.
ReplyDeleteI understood the Shadow as a person seeing what he could be if he decided to experience life and take chances. The scholar talking to a version of himself that he wish he could be. It was a weird story to be sure and It was a ironic twist that the scholar became the shadow or to his old shadow. The shadow life then took over and got rid of the scholar. Really dark undertone and not too sure I understand the message.
ReplyDeleteThe shadow is a very interesting tale. From the title you almost expect more of a fantastical horror story. My first impressions before reading it just from the title would be an old tale to explain the feeling that someone is watching you. However, as you read it is more a simple happy tale. It has some beautiful imagery inside it. The moonlit garden filled with light a scenery. the shadow as he returns to the man and the stories he tells upon his return. Of course, the ending takes a turn as the man who once had the shadow is executed as the shadow gets a happy ending with the princess, but in total it is an intriguing tale. In the beginning you almost think that the ending itself will go well for all but alas that is not the case for the leaned man who was executed.
ReplyDeleteThe shadow was a story that i caught myself reading a couple of times before i could understand. To my understanding the shadow was driven by jealousy and wanted to live life not as another shadow anymore, but to be his own shadow. Another dark story not intended for children because of how complex it is but enjoyable for adults especially if you like dark stories.
ReplyDeleteAnderson "The Shadow" Was a very interesting but weird story line. Anderson was really able to give me shivers while reading this. The ending was crazy and to see how the man became the shadow and lost his self from the world he once knew. I do have some trouble understanding the full context of the story, makes me wonder where he got this idea for a story like this.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this story because it showed that "The Shadow" was the same person, but different personalities. The shadow was the risk taker of all the things the actual body/mind was afraid or timid to do and didn't do. Reading this made me think back about me having a shadow that possibly could've done all the things I couldn't/didn't want to do. It opened up to me morally and my vision. Anderson's story "The Shadow" was a very unique writing to me because it stood out in many ways.
ReplyDeleteThis short story was interesting, but definitely not one of my favorites of Andersen. Without reading your description and interpretation on this blog post, I am not sure how well I would have understood this story. There were many side conversations that I feel kind of strayed from the point -- like when the shadow mentioned multiple times that he did not like "thou" said to him. I do agree with you saying that it definitely sounds like a story Poe would write.
ReplyDeleteDue to there being moments where the scholar and the shadow weren't differentiated, I had a bit of trouble understanding and following along with this story. That aside, I found The Shadow to be a story with an interesting concept. I'm truthfully still trying to understand/figure out what the moral of this story is.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Aldana
ReplyDeleteThis story is interesting to say the least but I did manage to enjoy it. Comparing it to Andersens other work I feel like it lacks something. I wouldn't say it's my least favorite but I didn't enjoy it as much as his other stories. I think i caught on to the difference between the scholar and the shadow which was a little confusing but overall i enjoyed it.