For those who believe that literature can have a powerful, positive, effect on society, Upton Sinclair's The Jungle (1906) is both a heartening and a disheartening example. Sinclair's portrait of the horrific living conditions of recent immigrants to the United States, and his specific portrait of the horrors of employment in the meat-packing industry, had a powerful effect beyond the one it had on its immediate readers. It led, dramatically and directly, to the Federal Meat Inspection Act of 1906, which greatly improved conditions at these plants -- for the meat, at any rate. The situation of the workers, and of immigrant families generally, did not improve, leading Sinclair to comment, with some bitterness, that he had "aimed at the public's heart, and by accident hit it in the stomach." Sinclair's embrace of the worker's cause, and of the promise of organizing trade unions, was prescient -- but in his day, he was more often hated than praised for it, and it's quite possible that, were a similar such story to appear today, it might re-ignite some of these same debates, which perhaps have never really gone away -- for some, "socialist" is still as dirty a word as it was in 1906.
Kristina Gehrmann is a graphic novelist and artist from Germany with quite a few major works to her credit, although her version of The Jungle is the first to appear in print in English. In 2015, her most substantial work -- Im Eisland ("In the Land of Ice") was published in Germany; it has since appeared in English as a webcomic, which you can read here. Filling three volumes, it undertakes to retell the story of the ill-fated Franklin expedition to the Arctic, a voyage that began with optimism and cheers and ended with cannibalism and despair. As she did with Im Eisland, Gehrmann combines meticulously researched and detailed backgrounds, clothing, and historical perspective with a facial style that is somewhat more like that of Japanese manga than of strict realism. Within that style, though, Gehrmann conveys emotion with masterful simplicity, leading a reviewer for the New York Journal of Books to remark that “In many ways, Gehrmann achieves what Upton Sinclair never quite did: She makes the characters real and complex, and she makes the political story a movingly human one.” As with Kuper's Heart of Darkness, Gehrmann's Jungle is mainly monochrome -- except for the visitations of red -- as meat, as blood, as human blushes and fury -- which haunts these pages to wonderful effect.
So read the first half of The Jungle -- and post your thoughts about it here. And, if you like, you can phrase your comment as a question for the author; with her permission, I'll be passing along some of these questions to her, and we can have the rare experience of getting answers directly from the artist/adapter herself!

I've read this story in the past but reading it in a comic style gives me different visuals from when I first read. The red in each picture really gives an emphasis on blood and it seems to be a reminder of the poor conditions of the meat-packing industry and how violent it is towards the animals.
ReplyDeleteI love the way graphic novels tell their stories. We can picture everything going on without drawing it in our head. I love the red on the graphics. I agree it does give an emphasis on blood and poor conditions of what the story is trying to show us. I hate how animals are treated. Sometimes I think of becoming vegetarian.
Delete-Victor h Valenzuela
I guess I bought the wrong version of the book because my book has no pictures in it at all, which is pretty disappointing. It was interesting to read about the money back then obviously it was a while ago but it really blew my mind when they talked about getting a four room house for 1500, with a monthly payment of only $12. I couldn't imagine going to work and taking home only $2 each day or less. It is also sad that people wanted to come here to do jobs and unhealthy and unsafe as the slaughterhouses back then, but it also shows you how much worse it must have been where they came from, because the character doesn't mind the job or the conditions.
ReplyDeleteAlexis Manning
I think it's interesting to read about the family's journey, and how they got jobs to pay for the rent, I also think that Jurgis is a great character because he was determined to help his family.
ReplyDelete- Ethan Opoku
Being an art major I Love! a good graphic novel!
ReplyDeleteSomething that you can get from, a Graphic novel that you can't get from regular text is symbolism in the form of drawing, something that I noticed in the novel is the color pallet. Most of the novel is in black and white, however, there are certain things in the novel that are red. Now, there can be a lot of reasons why people use this color pallet.
that would be the question I would like to ask the author:
Why red?
In my opinion:
Red is usually a color that can represent; Alert, emergency, red is one of those colors that's main point is to catch attention.
Lastly I want to say that I am enjoying the book and cant wait to finish it !
The first half of this book has been very interesting and some parts funny. I wonder, what is the significance of coloring certain things red? Some seem to be important parts of the section but the scarf and hat and even the tie around the newly married husbands waist. It also stuck out to me that in the beginning of coming to America, the language was very slurred. I also thought it was very interesting to see how different times were when wages were only up to so many cents and how much things cost. Lastly, I noticed at first the comments about America were about being the greatest then as soon as they began to get jobs, they saw that there were actually things wrong but it made it seem like the people were selfish instead of seeing that the country was not doing enough and that the workers were not the ones being selfish it was the ones that would steal time and money from them. I am very interested to finish this book and see where it goes
ReplyDeleteVery interesting to see that families, specially immigrants had to adapt to such a working environment with probably very little pay. It shows how things have changed and how the working conditions have evolved throughout the years. It was a veery informative reading but at the same time eye opening and sad.
ReplyDeleteIt is very satisfying seeing the images in this book. Like everyone else, I realized a lot of red and it catches the readers attention like it caught mine. I like how this book spoke on the working environments and how it was. It is a sad, but learnable novel I feel as.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteI really like that this book is a graphic novel. I think if it were just words, it would be much harder to read, and the picture definitely helps tell the story and makes you visualize the story better. Throughout reading I have seen the color red in certain pages making several aspects of the pictures be more highlighted although I don't know the exact reason for it, it helps the important thing stick out
I am enjoying this graphic novel. Seeing what the family has to go through to settle and get a job, house, and other essentials. Reading this book shows what it was like for people who immigrated to the country and how working conditions were very different. I also find it interesting how in the beginning of the book there is a little red, as seen on the scarf, and then as you read more, and we see the red increase. I like the style of this book as I find graphic novels easier to read. I like to see the scene and what they say and then move to the next slide. This type of story brings awareness to these types of things others have had to or still experience. This family experiences hard situations one thing after another.
ReplyDeleteTiffany Bouley
This was a very interesting graphic novel and because of the panels, it was really easy to get into and understand the emotions of the story. It made me so sad to see how difficult our country was on immigrants and how badly they exploited everyone. Imagine leaving your birth land in hopes of achieving the American dream and watching it materialize into a nightmare. I can't imagine watching your dreams fall apart as quickly as they did once he punched the foreman. I also can't imagine having young kids drop out of school because they were needed to make ends meet by working. Such a different time back then. The nature of this book made it an easy, quick read.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this book. The way the story was told was very easy to understand. The graphics and the red hints of color in the pictures were perfect. I was astonished about a lot of things about this book. One, the amount of animals being processed in the factories and how there were almost no regulations. Two, the way this particular family in the book was treated at their jobs shows a live picture of what was happening in these factories back then when there were almost no regulations and what might even still happen nowadays. I love how at the end of the story this family’s story was told to someone important and that person would make their voice be heard all over the USA. Finally Making some justice for all people going through this situations .
ReplyDelete-Victor H Valenzuela
Reading this graphic novel really brought me back to middle school. I remember being told a graphic novel did not count toward my book assignments because graphic novels weren’t real books. That narrative has always bothered me because what do you mean they aren't “real books”. Just because they incorporate pictures of each scene does not make then any less of a book. But nonetheless reading this and seeing the random items colored in red was fun, I would call it a scavenger hunt but the red really stood out in most scenes.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed being able to read this graphic novel because although it was a change of pace I learned a bunch of new things from this read. The color red is used a lot throughout the story and really adds to the books topic I think that was a clever add on by the author. It is crazy to see what people had to work through to survive during that time in history, especially seeing what the character Jurgis did to help his family out during those times.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading this graphic novel. I've actually never read a novel like this before but I think the pictures really bring the story to life. I like how the author decided to use red as it was eye catching and overall added to the book. It was definitely sad to see what a family had to go through just to survive.
ReplyDeleteThis story is really good. That fact that they put in so much detail to make sure they portrayed everything right is amazing. Normally stories like this may down or overplay things but the firsthand experience give a truly accurate representation. Not only that the art in it makes you really feel like the characters are slowly losing hope and faith as well as questioning their decisions.
ReplyDeleteThis book was very interesting to me because the contents of it were very intense and dark. I appreciate how real and honest it was because a lot of stories talk about the American dream as if immigrants flee their homelands and instantly come here and get a better life. But this book definitely highlighted a lot of terrible struggles that Jurgis and his family had to suffer through and how America was not really the place they anticipated it to be. Even though the story was extremely grim, it is almost relieving to read something that doesn't hide harsh realities.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why, but I've noticed over the course of my life that immigration related stories have always been fascinating to me. If I had to guess why, I would say it could be because my mother's family is nothing but immigrants as well. They may have been fortunate enough to not have faced nearly as many obstacles as Jurgis and his family, but they did still have one main thing in common. That was, that the American dream is a lie that less than 1% of the US population has achievied.
ReplyDeleteI have not read a graphic novel in many years and I never realized how much they can help readers to understand what is written. We are able to look at pictures which is always better for me to grasp something. This book reminds me of my nonna who immigrated to New York from Italy. She and two of her siblings came and the rest of her family stayed in Italy. Reading about Jurgis and Ona's hardships makes me want to learn more about my nonna and what she went through.
ReplyDeleteThis was the first graphic novel that I have ever read and is probably one of my favorite books that I have read in some time. This novel made me think about what my great grandparents would have gone through when they immigrated here from Poland in the early 1900's and what type of life my grandfather would have had as a child as well. I had never imagined what working conditions and living situations were like then and I am sure that many of my ancestors worked in factories similar to the ones in the novel. The ending was a little surprise with bringing it back to the author conducting the interview with the main character. Very full circle and I liked how it wrapped up such an important story.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Aldana
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this graphic novel, not only because of the pictures but because it got me thinking of the past and how did people put up with the work environment. I also thought about my family since some worked in factories when they first got this country. It is crazy how much the conditions have changed from then to now. I know some places still arent perfect but there is effort being put in which is a big difference between now and back then.