Thursday, January 20, 2022

A Mermaid and a Girl

"The Little Mermaid" may be one of the best-known fairy tales of all time, but it took its time to get there. Although written in 1837, it wasn't translated into English until 1872, and although Andersen considered it one of his fairy tales "for children," there seems to have been some shyness about handing a tale to little girls that clearly seems to take as its underlying theme the subject of sexual maturity. Andersen himself sealed the ending of the story with what may be one of the most moralistic morals ever penned:

"For every day on which we find a good child who pleases his parents and deserves their love, God shortens our days of trial. The child does not know when we float through his room, but when we smile at him in approval one year is taken from our three hundred. But if we see a naughty, mischievous child we must shed tears of sorrow, and each tear adds a day to the time of our trial."

As P.L. Travers (Mary Poppins) said, "A year taken off when a child behaves and a tear shed and a day added whenever a child is naughty? Andersen, this is blackmail. And the children know it and say nothing. There's magnanimity for you."

Disney, in converting Andersen's antique moralizing into modern family fare, actually did a remarkable job of holding on to the charged understory of a girl coming of age with desire, not just for the human world, but for a human prince. They discretely applied two scallop shells, along with water-bound as well as air-bound sidekicks, and made the sisters into the same sort of annoying wannabes as those of Cinderella. But it was with the Sea Witch that they worked the best magic; by having her, with Ariel's stolen voice (thankfully not her actual tongue) embody Ariel's rival they considerably upped the ante on the final climax. And of course, the little mermaid -- who doesn't die -- gets both legs and man. 

In contrast, "The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf" takes us on a moralistic tale about a very bad girl -- stepping on a loaf of bread meant for her parents is an act that loses most readers' sympathy -- though here it's once again compounded by Andersen's making the vanity of a beloved pair of shoes clean the cause -- and it seems that things must go from bad to worse to worser. The angel that visits here does not bring a sword -- but tears -- but even those fail to fully redeem the lost girl. She is only able to find salvation after being reincarnated as a bird and sharing out as much grain as it must have taken to make the loaf upon which she trod so many years before. Even then, it's not quite to heaven that Inger ascends -- though perhaps that's a more satisfying end -- at least she's alive.

33 comments:

  1. I like how you can see the differences and similarities of the Disney's "Little Mermaid" and Anderson's. You can really see how Disney used Anderson's story as a basis to create their story for a different audience. Disney is more oriented towards children, so the creators had to rewrite Anderson's to be more peaceful and 'magical' for their audience. Anderson's "Little Mermaid" is more oriented towards an adult audience, so he could really be as gruesome and true as he would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you in similarities of the Disney’s “Little Mermaid” and Anderson’s. I love how these types of stories have been recreated as Disney representations. It brings these stories to life and color. It gives us a different and maybe better representation of the stories.
      -Victor H Valenzuela

      Delete
  2. There were definitely similarities and differences between Disney's Little Mermaid and Anderson's Little Mermaid. Similarities I spotted were that there was a prince in both stories that the princess was attracted to and a celebration occurring on the ship as she rose to the surface. A difference is that in Anderson's story, they show the shipwreck which is not spoken of in Disney's story because after all, it is a children's tale. I enjoyed reading Anderson's story and seeing how a Disney film could be turned into a story that is more for a mature audience rather than young children. Both stories have the same storyline with a few differences added.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost felt as if reading Andersen's version of "The Little Mermaid" opened my eyes to the true story than what Disney showed me when I was younger. The innocence of the film is thrown away thanks to Andersen and I found myself more intrigued by the story. The illustrations of the mermaid getting her tongue cut off and having to put a knife through the prince's heart was almost exciting as it gave a different perspective from the story I had always known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I feel like Anderson's story was the story of Disney's Little Mermaid but we as children see the good in everything until we are exposed to different. Anderson definitely showed a different perspective of the same story that we have all seen.

      Delete
    2. I mean absolute genius to turn such a torturous act of chopping a tongue off, into the beauty of a voice that is captured until love is won over by Walt Disney instead. Andersen's straight forward approach is absolutely terrifying, however, in hindsight both stories teach the same lesson. Disney's is sugar coated while Anderson served it cold. Sometimes blunt is good and much easier to comprehend the lesson especially to a child. As far as which story is preferred morally seems to depend on the culture.

      Delete
  4. Reading “The Little Mermaid and "The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf" was quite interesting. I think a theme that I noticed from Andersen’s stories is that his endings are a bit dramatic. It was cool to see the similarities and differences between Anderson's The Little Mermaid versus the Disney version. Anderson's version I feel went in more depth and was more tragic, but I liked that it had some of the same characters as the evil witch and the prince who had raven-colored hair like the movie. I never knew there was a written version of the little mermaid, so I enjoyed a different take on the story. “The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf” reminded me of “The Red Shoes” because it's basically about a girl who does something “bad” and gets punished for it. So, another theme that I can see is the lesson of morality.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading a different version, very different from the Disney version, more PG13 than Andersen’s version. I also noticed how every version was about a girl and about this perspective that if you do something bad you would be punished in a harsh manner. Also these versions put females in a position that they cannot do anything because they would be punished and judged by society. These versions are explicit hardcore.

    Francini Perez Brito

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexis Manning

    I enjoyed audiobooks for both “The Little Mermaid” and “The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf”. The little mermaid, however, was easier to understand because of the Disney version and the background I know already about it. Andersen and Disney have very similar stories, but different endings. I might be wrong in saying this, but I think Andersen was a religious person because I noticed in both stories, he seems to reference God or heaven mostly in the ending of the stories. “The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf” she resembles a very selfish person, in the obvious way being that she is willing to step on a perfectly good loaf of bread meant for the poor just to protect her shoes, but also in a stubborn way. When a little girl cries about her being stuck and the mention of her maybe apologizing might get her free, she still never does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy reading the "grim" versions of the innocent Disney tales that most grew up watching. I appreciate the theme of "consequences of actions", and "sacrifice" that come with these versions. These themes are more fulfilling in my opinion. The little mermaid, had to give up not just her voice, but her LIFE for the prince, but unfortunately due to her rash decision in the name of love she dies. and the second story we have a consequence that feels like an actual punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too find these versions of Disney tales more fulfilling. Other than some gruesome aspects of the stories, I wonder why Disney does not more often display, as you said, "consequences of action". I would think that these versions might be beneficial for kids to read/watch so that they can learn and apply it to real life. Although, it may not be as extreme as getting ones tongue cut off, or feet, but is applicable to following directions, and if you don't there is a consequence. Overall, I think I enjoy these versions of the tales better, and they provide a better learning experience.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed the change of scenery that Disney had depicted and enjoyed being able to see how Disney took the basis of Andersons story and created it for a younger audience to enjoy. Andersons version of the tale is similar but different when it comes to the consequences that the characters face, Disney made things always have happiness at the end of the day where Anderson did not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't sure what to expect when I saw we were reading a Disney fairytale in a different version, I wasn't sure if it would be the same story but a different point of view or just written a different way but it was very interesting. One of the first differences that caught my eye was how there was many grandchildren instead of the one little mermaid. I was very interested how they had each grandchild be able to talk about their experience going up to the surface and even the fact that they were allowed to. I thought this short story was very different from the Disney movie but also opened my eyes to see that you can have so many different points of view and different ways to look at the story but they all tie down to the same base and general storyline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I read the girl who trod on the loaf, I was a little confused while reading it. I understood the points where when she was young she had a sort of sickening tactic where she would do some gruesome things to insects and other living things but then she got to live with a different family and from what I understood she got better. From that point on is where I sort of got lost and confused in the story as to if she did something else and that is why she got the punishment she did. If she didn't then I would say it was a harsh punishment but if she did and depending on what it was, I can't say. I think she should've been giving a last chance to continue being better with the other family because to me it seemed the way her mother acted maybe played a role in why she acted the way she did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a show called "explained" and they dive deep into random topics that us humans may enjoy. I recall watching an episode of "fairytales" and it was incredible that these stories called fairytales are "tale as old as time". The same fairytales being told for centuries and all over the world each with a similar plot, yet, told very differently. I found it fascinating that there were so many different ways to tell the same story and some countries way of reading them were terrifying. I questioned why such a story be shared with a young innocent human and also sighed with gratitude that I grew up reading Disney's way of telling these fairytales. Maybe these tales are for children to prepare them for a future containing brutal honesty. Obviously, it may not be the healthiest way to teach them life lessons such as the little mermaid teaching children to respect parents and to learn to obey them, yet truth be told it is in many ways brainwashing and manipulative. Very much the case for "The Girl Who Trod on the Loaf" which seems to embrace karma using imagination, spirituality, natural instincts children have to understand behavior characterized as good or bad culturally. Teaching a young child about karma through reincarnation paints a picture of what bad behavior can turn into - therefore don't even come close to it. This bad behavior trickles into a ripple effect (which isn't entirely false), yet there is always room for growth and forgiveness, or that it is never too late to fix such behavior even if it is not in this lifetime. I find this quit interesting and sparks the idea that if literature is supposed to be good for us, perhaps, there is strength to be gained by reading of experiences of others (so we can learn by their mistake and not our own). Of course, it seems anything that is relatable to us as a person is naturally understood more because there is a relation/relationship, but are these fairytales read to help children from making the same "mistakes" these characters did. I have heard and read multiple speculations things about the original cover of the Disney's "The Little Mermaid" and after reading these stories I can't help but wonder if Disney planned that original cover strategically to continue the theme of sexual maturity and not out of spite after all.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed reading the story of The Little Mermaid as I had never read it before, only watched the movie as a child. Since it has been so long since I have seen the movie, the story felt new to me but of course reminded me of the movie at times. What I loved the most about the story by Andersen was his use of descriptive language. It painted such a vivid picture for me while I read. The quote that stuck with me most was "...the clouds-well, she just couldn't describe how beautiful they were, with their crimson and violet hues, as they sailed over her head. Even more rapidly than the clouds, a flock of wild swans flew like a long white veil across the water toward the setting sun."(page 128)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tiffany Bouley
    It was very interesting to read "The Little Mermaid" as I can't help but relate it to the Disney version I grew up watching and seeing it in another version is cool. The main storyline is similar as she wants more to life than what she has underwater and is infatuated with the world on land, falls in love with a prince, and sees the witch to get help with making her dream of being on land and marrying the prince come true. Certain parts of the story and the ending on the other hand is quite different. One of the biggest differences was how she actually gets to meet the prince. In the movie he wakes up, sees her, and hears her sing before she leaves. There wasn’t another girl who found him. In the version we read, she leaves and waits for someone to get him and he sees her face first and thinks she was really the one who rescued him. The little mermaid then just lives a sad life wanting him but gets told she can’t be with him because she is a mermaid. The ending was also quite different as she gets her happily ever after in the movie by marrying the prince and getting her voice back. But in the tale, he marries someone else he thought was the one that rescued him. He never finds out it was her and she dies turning into a “daughter of the air” with becoming immortal after serving the trial of doing good deeds. I can tell he is very religious as this is similar to when one might go to purgatory after death to repent for their sins before going to Heaven.
    I also found it interesting that Anderson writes as part of the story how mermaids don’t have an immortal life like humans after dying and the only way they can is if a human falls in love with a mermaid and gets married.
    “The Girl Who Trod on the Loaf” was also interesting as it was kind of strange as I have never read something like it before. Inger goes right to hell as she falls in the swamp from using the bread to get her across. She is punished for being selfish and using the food to try to keep her shoes clean. A little girl cries for Inger and it touched Inger’s heart. It is not until that girl grew old and on her death bed still praying for Inger was it that Inger began to really change and be let go from hell. It was the woman’s pity for Inger that really taught her what it means to be good. I like how Anderson turns the story from this selfish girl who wasted food to keep her shoes clean to a free bird that helped its fellow birds. It shows the act of kindness of the woman made Inger realize the things she did was bad. She was released and did good deeds. This story also like the last two we have read of Anderson’s has religion and talks about praying and blessings of God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always tend to enjoy the originals more. The Disney versions after a while get a bit too one note. Selfish act or person -> Evil deeds -> she gets her prince. it happens a lot actually. Aurora, snow white, the little mermaid etc. I find that while the happy ending is nice it takes away any sort of lessons... Like its okay to eat an apple from a stranger because you still get the prince. What is that teaching people.

      Delete
  14. I didn't realize that this story was written so long ago but I did enjoy the movie when I was younger. The adapted version of the film as it relates to Disney is always heavy on extra stuff such as musical scores and stories that end up with a happy ending. Disney added details meant to favor the princess such as her marriage to the prince. Disney took a lot of the story from Anderson but used a lot of its target audience (kids) to tell its version. In the book love wasn't the primary motivation for wanting to marry the prince.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually have never watched the Disney film of “The Little Mermaid”as a child so reading the original version (which is hopefully more gruesome than the film) was fun. I’m excited to watch the Disney film so that I can compare it to the original story. I knew going into the reading the plot of the Disney film but the reading was not what I was expecting. Or I could have the completely wrong idea of the plot of the film. Reading through everyones comments and reading them mention the similarities between the two versions is definitely something I will have to look out for. I was glad to see that the plot line of the tongue getting cut out did not make it to the film version!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The beginning of "The Girl Who trod on the Loaf" was very interesting for me. the way this girl Inger was growing up was very interesting. She was very evil and fearless I would say. At a young age she would stick insects on a pin and see them turning and twisting to try to scape and make fun of it. her mom even said that it would need a desperate remedy to cure her disease. she used to trod on her moms apron and now mom was afraid that she was going to end up treading on her heart. time went by she got worse rather than better. she started going to service with a good family who lived in the country. they treated her like their own daughter. They tried to tell her to go and see her parents after a while of not seeing them. once she tried to go see them for the first time she turned back because she was ashamed of the conditions she saw her mother on. The second time she tried to go she was given a loaf of bread to bring to her parents but she was so evil and selfish that when she came across marshy ground going towards her parents she used the loaf that was for her parents to step on it so she did not get her shoes dirty. this was the part that was most interesting for me because how selfish do you have to be to do something like this to your parents. I am pretty sure she learned her lesson after this. The way she sank into the ground and where she ended up after this sure leaves a big message. Do not be been to your parents.
    -Victor H Valenzuela

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really enjoyed the "The Little Mermaid" It was a very cool story at the beginning. It looked like it was going to be a very happy ending where the youngest of all the mermaids was going to live happily ever after with the prince that she always dreamt off. This story took a turn point where it got very sad. The little mermaid risked everything in her life to go for a dream that did not know if it was possible and that if it did not come true she would die. the part that made it even more sad was the prince not realizing who was the real person who saved him from drowning. even though at the end the little mermaid dies she still has the option to live in another real doing different things from what she was doing.
    -Victor H Valenzuela

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christopher FigueroaJanuary 27, 2022 at 9:36 AM

    Reading the two pieces were very interesting. It was amazing how both "The Little Mermaid" & "A Mermaid and a Girl" had their similarities and differences. It was cool to read Anderson's because it was more for adults. Growing up, Disney is always typically for kids and now to us can seem less boring, but this story was different. It was like I can see the images in my head as the story was going on and I love stories like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really enjoyed reading “The Little Mermaid” Andersens version because of all the similarities to the Disney's version. The little mermaid is one of my favorite disney movies. So it was interesting while reading and comparing the two stories. I also like that most of Anderson story seemed to end in not, as a happy ending like in most Disney movies there is usually a happily ever after. The specific details in the story definitely made it easier to picture and understand the story a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not sure where my comment for this book went: I took a pic and rewriting it.

    I didn't realize that this story was written so long ago but I did enjoy the movie when I was younger. The adapted version of the film as it relates to Disney is always heavy on extra stuff such as musical scores and stories that end up with a happy ending. Disney added details meant to favor the princess such as her marriage to the prince. Disney took a lot of the story from Anderson but used a lot of its target audience (kids) to tell its version. In the book love wasn't the primary motivation for wanting to marry the prince.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As most children do, I of course loved the Disney version of A girl and A mermaid. Since reading it, now I fully understand what other people who've read the Andersen original were referring to when they said how different and macabre it was. I'm not sure how this will sound, but I almost wish Andersen's original version of the story was made into an animated movie. I like dark stories and movies and I feel like it would be fun to compare the original to the Disney version.

    ReplyDelete