Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Under Milk Wood

Dylan Thomas's final and finest work, Under Milk Wood made a huge impression on its first arrival into the world.  A "play for voices," its staging involved a large cast, originally drawn from the National Theatre of Wales, with Thomas as narrator. It was commissioned by the BBC, but by the time they made their recording (the one with Richard Burton as narrator, which I've linked on the sidebar), Thomas was already ill; he died in the fall of 1954.

It's set in a mythical Welsh town -- Thomas's original name for it was Llarregub (a name that looks like that of a Welsh down, but it actually "bugger all" backwards). People have argued about which actual town it was meant to represent, but that's beside the point -- it is at once any town and no town, a place that exists only so far as its voices describe it, and just as they describe it.

We begin at night, with the dreams of the residents, wake up and wander through their mornings, and eventually reach the point just before the next night -- twenty-four hours of internal and external thoughts, monologues, and dialogues. Besides the narrator, a few figures seem most prominent, particularly "Captain Cat," who opens the night sequence with a dialogue with his sailors who have drowned, his "dead dears," rings the morning "wake up bell," and climbs back into his bunk near the end. But there are others -- very many others -- who endear themselves to our ears -- Organ Morgan whose thoughts return ever to his organ and the works of Bach; Mrs. Ogmore Pritchard who sleeps with one dead husband's ghost on either side, nagging them both; Lily Smalls, a housemaid in a "small" house with outsized dreams; Sinbad Sailors the barman, who has named his pillow after the girl he can't marry; and Mr. Mog Edwards whose love for Myfawny Price is known only through his letters, which are surreptitiously steamed open by Willy Nilly the postman and his wife.

Throughout, Thomas's poetic language juggles the senses, turning nouns into verbs and adjectives, playing with sound and sense, and heaving the whole dollop of humanity that is Milk Wood into his catch-net of wild words. So have at a few -- pick a character, a phrase, a moment -- and give us your thoughts below:

7 comments:

  1. I think that "Under Milk Wood" is an interesting story, I thought that Lily Smalls had a relatable dream that many people may have.

    - Ethan Opoku

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most amusing moment for me was when the story showed the tumultuous hidden lives of that little Welsh Village called Llareggub in a language that was new, vibrant and revelatory. This was a delightful and unusual story about their day to day life, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed listening to this audio book. It is interesting what is happening during a day in this place. There is a lot happening in this place during a typical spring day. It seems like a magical place. The amount of rhyming in this book is awesome. It was a little bit hard to follow because of the amount of vocabulary used but it was fun and learned a lot of new words. As it says towards the end we should look at Milk Wood and the good things happening there not the bad things.
    -Victor H Valenzuela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you victor, there were definitely moments where I found it hard to follow due to the language. Overall though I enjoyed reading it and I liked how there were so many different characters as it kept the story interesting. You typically don't see that many characters in a play, at least in any i've seen.

      Delete
  4. Daniel Aldana

    I found the play to be a little odd a times due to some of the words. Overall I enjoyed it, I feel like having this many characters was important to keep the story going and to keep it interesting. I saw it as each character had their own little impact to the play which I liked, it kept it fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I agree that there was a variety of words in this book. It was a little hard to understand but once we look up the words that we do not understand, it starts to make a lot of sense. There were also a lot of characters which it would be better if we wrote all of them out to keep up with the story since there were a lot of characters, which made it really interesting compared to all the other books we have read.
      -Victor H Valenzuela

      Delete