William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) was a study in contradictions: the quintessential Irish poet, he spent the bulk of his career in England; the arch-druid of sublime desire, the love of his life -- Maud Gonne -- never returned his feelings; a fierce and unbending critic of British colonial rule over Ireland, his political persuasions late in life drew him close to neo-Fascist elements such as the Irish "Blueshirts." He was also, in the midst of his poetic career, a dedicated Occultist and member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (a mystical brotherhood unrelated to the modern far-right organization of that name). In that guise, he rubbed shoulders with acolytes of the arcane such as Aleister Crowley, S.L. MacGregor-Mathers, and Evelyn Underhill. As required of all initiates of that order, he designed and drew his own Tarot deck, the manuscript of which was preserved in his papers.
All of which seems more than a little odd with a poet whose voice and tone were, in his final decade, unmistakably modern. The 1930's, in addition to being a time of worldwide economic depression, were an era in which the returning shadow of war -- thought banished after the "Great War" -- gave rise to what became World War II. And Yeats's poetry both foreshadowed and embodied this growing sense of doom, never more eloquently than in "The Second Coming":
Turning and turning in the widening gyreThe falcon cannot hear the falconer;Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhereThe ceremony of innocence is drowned;The best lack all conviction, while the worstAre full of passionate intensity.
The sense is clear: this is an apocalypse of human, not divine, making -- the blood-dimed tide is us. And yet, at the same time, Yeats celebrated his own humanity, age, and fragility, with more than a little dash of humor:
An aged man is but a paltry thing,A tattered coat upon a stick, unlessSoul clap its hands and sing, and louder singFor every tatter in its mortal dress
So many memorable phrases can be traced to him, and continue to resonate today: The Golden Apples of the Sun, No Country for old Men, Things Fall Apart, and many more. And among them, the title of Joan Didion's remarkable book of essays, which we'll soon be reading: Slouching Toward Bethlehem.
So read Yeats. Read him aloud, if you can, and dare! Here are direct links to his poems:
In your responses below, see if you can make connections to the present moment, to where Yeats's words suddenly come back into relevance, and seem to speak to our present time:

When reading "Sailing to Byzantium" I felt as if Yeats was emphasizing how the world relies more on the youth and the older generations are viewed as a generation that is stuck in the past. It seems like the poem talks about how being old is more of a negative thing rather than positive one and I feel that I have encountered a few situations where younger people view older generations in a negative manner because they are "stuck in their ways" and "don't know what life is truly like now". This was the main connection I felt as if I was able to make while reading some of Yeats' work.
ReplyDelete
DeleteI agree with you that Yeats was emphasizing how the world relies on the youth and the older are viewed as a generation with poor views. I love this poem. I think it speaks to us in a lot of ways. I also think that the old means the past we need to learn from and not make the same mistakes they did. We have to learn from it and keep pushing forward.
-Victor H Valenzuela
I really enjoy reading poems, I feel like they never get old. What seems to speak to our present time is how the world is evolving and becoming more modern and some people honestly are staying behind, maybe they prefer the old style of things, the only downside is that everything around them is becoming modern that the generation that prefers to stay in the old days will have to eventually get with the program.
ReplyDeleteThis Poem is clearly about aging. To me he is talking about the older generations dying, and their wisdom or intelligence not aging. He says everything that is brought into existence and born eventually must die. I didn't see any words that came back into relevance. But I can certainly see he has a way with words. ‘And fastened to a dying animal’ meaning his heart/ soul is stuck to his dying body.
ReplyDeleteI like the way the narrator describes things using similes, and other sophisticated descriptions.
ReplyDelete-Ethan Opoku
Daniel Aldana
ReplyDeleteThese poems all have the theme of young and old, and also aging. The first poem "Sailing to Byzantium" really gave it away when Yeats is sorta trashing on the older generation. I feel as if he views the youth as a brighter generation than the older generation. Maybe he feels the youth are going to do things better than the older generation. It represents what is happening today, some people are too closed minded and don't want a new way of thinking while others a accepting and embrace new things.
I never really paid attention to English poems before, but reading these poems made me realize I was missing out on some really good content and information. When Yeats says “Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,” It kind of reminded me of what is happening nowadays with war, police and several other issues. I love how he generalizes a lot of things in short paragraphs which could tell about the past present and future all in the same paragraph. There is a lot of meaning behind his words. I really enjoyed these poems. I will definitely be reading more poems from now on.
ReplyDelete-Victor H Valenzuela
After reading all three poems by Yeats the one that I felt related mostly to today was “The Second Coming”. With everything going on today with COVID, and the war, one quote really stood out to me “Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold” . Some people can reasonably say that “the world is falling apart” a lot of things that are essential to life are at an all time high. There has been an increase in grocery items, gas, and many more. I also think when he says “Surely the Second Coming is at hand” this can be viewed as an expression for today as well. In the last two years people have gone through a lot of hard times and maybe it can be used to show hope that one day there will be a fresh start.
ReplyDelete-Alexis Manning
I enjoy reading poems rather than reading whole books at times because of how easy they are to read and how a short phrase of words can tell you so much. When reading “The Circus Animals’ Desertion,” I enjoyed how it was written with the occasional rhymes of word and the choice of words he used. These poems definitely use words from an older time but still make sense today, that is what makes reading them so enjoyable, back then and now.
ReplyDeleteIf i'm being honest i've never really been into poetry but I actually enjoyed reading these poems. I think in poems the words are much more meaningful than when reading a book or novel. The words almost come to life. My favorite out of the three is The Second Coming. The way he chose to use the words really added a dramatic effect.
ReplyDeleteWhile reading "sailing to Byzantium" it reminds me of a city in Florida that was once heavily populated by old people. It is now changing into a community of young adults. "The Second Coming" sounds like Yeats is talking about the world being destroyed/falling apart which is why the second coming is appearing. "The Circus Animals' Desertion" - I could not really figure out what this poem was about. All three poems did have religious words and context included. I can conclude that Yeats must have been Catholic or some sort of religion or maybe just had a spiritual personality.
ReplyDeletePoetry is not anything that I ever wanted to read or decipher. Other than nursery rhymes and childhood poems, it never appealed to me. I read these carefully and I think I like "the second coming" the best. Specifically because there is so much chaos around the world today it's almost like he's prophesizing it all. When he says innocence is lost I think of how people today would rather pick up a camera and tape someone in distress instead of helping. This is currently a dark time as well with the invasion of Ukraine. The blood is loosed and everywhere a sure sign of war and despair.
ReplyDeleteDaniel Aldana
ReplyDeleteI somewhat enjoy poetry but the part that I dislike it figuring out what it means, since you can interpret poetry however you like its always a little tricky for me but with these poems its different. They all involve some sort of religious theme, and some even relate to what happens today. But my favorite has to be "The second coming" since it seemed so chaotic to say the least and i have never seen a poet or a poem have that kind of effect.
I myself don’t particularly like poems as they can be quite difficult to understand and make sense of but these definitely to me sound like they relate to religion. Like going on a holy quest or a second coming of a creepy animal. I think he is forming a rebuttal to what Christianity has preached. His style of how he writes using odd words in ways that comes off a bit confusing, is still interesting how something that makes no sense can hold so much meaning behind them. Or have such little written but also mean a lot.
ReplyDelete-Tiffany Bouley